Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Finding Buried Treasure


"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.” (Matthew 13:44-46 NIV)

I grew up going to church.  I went through Confirmation as a 12-year-old. I took Communion once a quarter.  By the measure of my culture, I was a Christian.  And I considered myself one as well.  Yet, I was searching for something more, something at the time that seemed so elusive—joy, peace, and meaning.  I sensed it was out there; I just couldn’t find it.  

As I look back, I now realize why it was so difficult.  It required digging and searching beyond the religious trappings and rituals with which I had grown up and which had covered over the Truth that could set me free. Buried treasure by definition is difficult to find.

I don’t know if God intended it to be that way, but it is clear that many get deceived by the landscape of religion and conclude there is nothing of value to be found, or they conclude what they find on the surface is good enough.  As a result, they miss finding the Treasure.  

The challenge for us as ones who have discovered the Treasure is to expose it enough in our own lives to make it easier for others to find.  It is not uncommon to cover it over again with religious rituals and platitudes.  

Today, recognize there are people around you unaware the Treasure of treasures is within their grasp or that it even exists.  You have the opportunity to give them a glimpse of it and show them how they can find it themselves.

© Jim Musser 2013

No comments: